Thursday, May 15, 2014

CA-Gov: The Establishment Rallies Against Tim Donnelly

Governor Pete Wilson today joined Secretary Rice, Darell Issa, the Lincoln Club of Orange County, among others, being critical of Tim Donnelly. He's reiterating that on Hugh Hewitt this afternoon. I expect the transcript will be up there later today. Wilson is convinced that Donnelly will hurt the GOP down ticket.

I've had more than one GOP insider blame Meg Whitman for Republican poor performance down ticket in 2010. The problem with that is that the opposite was true. Republican insiders feel they can be alarmist without actually looking at the data.

The alternative to Donnelly, Neel Kashkari appears to be a really bad candidate. He's running behind three some dude candidates who've spent no money. One of them is a registered sex offender and another dropped out. I don't see how Kashkari will be better for Republicans down ticket, since Republicans can't even identify who he is. If you're running behind three nobodies are you the alternative to Donnelly?

Frankly, I don't know how much establishment Republicans being critical of Donnelly will hurt him. The grassroots that support Donnelly are skeptical of people like Wilson and Rice. If anything, their criticism may help Donnelly, not hurt him. I suppose people like Wilson and Rice need to step up for their preferred candidate, but I don't see how Kashkari finishes top two. I'm not supporting Donnelly. I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm just calling it based on what I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment